by Carmelo, architect, artist and good friend. He sketched the progrssion of the train station in the city of Liege from the begining of the 20th century to a far future.
A human adventure, it is above all an adventure of meetings that made me become more than myself.
I don't know how long I'll be in the road neither if I'll be coming back one day, but everything started from here.
Traveling changes a person, more than just physically.
Did you know...
I used to meet people from all around the world who doesn't know much about Belgium, so Did you know?
- Peter Minuit from the French side of Belgium (Wallonia) founded the city of New York in 1626.
- French Fries have been invented in Belgium in the 19th century.
- There are about 800 kinds of beers brewed in Belgium.
- The Brussels National Airport is the biggest selling point of chocolate in the world.
- There are three main types of Belgian waffles: the Liege waffles (most common), Brussels waffles (larger, lighter, rectangular, and typically eaten with fruit or ice cream), and cakes - Galette -.
- Belgium has the lowest proportion of McDonald's per capita in developed countries, with only 0,062 restaurants per 10,000 people, at least 7x lower than in the U.S., 4x lower than in Japan, and two times less than in France and Germany .
- In March 2003, Belgium was the first country to introduce the use of electronic identity cards.
- Belgium was the first country to issue electronic passports.
- Belgium is one of the rarest countries in the world where political voting is compulsory (with penalties).
- Taxes in Belgium are among the highest in the world, with about 40% of gross revenues transferred to taxes for a family with one income.
- The Belgian motorway system is the only man-made structure visible from the moon (at night, at least, due to the lighting throughout the network).
- The first modern hot springs opened in the city of Spa in the 18th century. They were the first in Europe.
- The first casino in Europe, La Redoute, opened in 1763 in the city of Spa.
- The Palace of Justice in Brussels is the largest courthouse in the world with a built area of 26,000 m² on the ground, more than St. Peter's Basilica in Rome
- Belgium has more comics creators per km2 as any other country, even Japan.
- In 70 years of existence, 200 million copies of "Adventures of Tintin" have been sold worldwide. So Tintin, The Smurfs, Lucky Luke are Belgian.
- The city of Durbuy is considered the "smallest town in the world." with almost 500 citizens.
- The saxophone was invented in the early 1840s by Adolphe Sax in the city of Dinant.
- Belgium is one of the most densely populated countries in the world, with a population density equivalent to that of Japan, India, England and the Netherlands, with only 11 millions citizens.
- Brussels is the European city with the third highest GDP per capita, after Luxembourg and the center of London.
- There is 3 official languages in Belgium; French, German and Dutch.