Of all the countries I have visited, Thessaloniki remains the busiest city I've ever seen. I expected a slower and calmer atmosphere reflecting the country's economy, but that was not the case. People started popping out around
I took a detour by the fruits and
But it seemed that the country was, and is still in crisis.
Did you know...
- Modern Greece is only the centre of the Ancient Greek civilisation, which comprised Southern Italy, the coastal areas of Turkey and the Black Sea, as well as some colonies in North Africa, Southern France and Spain.
- Greek people have one of the lowest death rate for cancer in Europe.
millenium.- The Minoan civilisation, that appeared in Greece around 3650 B.C.E., predates the first Chinese civilisation by almost a
- The world-famous Belgian pralines Leonidas were named after the homonymous 5th-century B.C.E. king of Sparta.
- 85% of Greek people own their accommodation - the highest rate in the EU.
- 80% of Greece is mountainous and 50% is covered by forests. There are about 3000 islands, only a few hundreds of which are inhabited.
- Greece counts some 7,000 (limestone) caves, forming 24,000 km of underground galleries.