artist from Indonesia living in Melbourne. His portraits sketches are inspired from the Middle age era that he calls the Historically Wrong Sketch Series.
Visiting Indonesia through Jakarta is not the best introduction to this country. I had to visit Indonesia within the next 6 months, as I wanted to settle administrative papers and also to visit a friend from Belgium.
It is rare to see such a noisy and chaotic city! And it’s a big challenge to walk down the sidewalk-less streets of Jakarta amidst a constant flow of busy traffic.
Simply 3 days in the Indonesian capital isn’t sufficient to reflect the whole country. I refrain from having an opinion about this trip.
I’m looking forward to my next visit to the southern islands already.
A brief interruption
1. Indonesia is extend from Sumatra Island to Papua in the east, consisted with more than 17.000 island, mostly inhabitant.
2. The largest island is Sumatra which is still part of the Big Sunda Island chain (actually Papua is largest island in the country but because it shares with New Guinea makes Sumatra the only Indonesian owned biggest island)
3. According to Wikipedia, 3 of 10 biggest Island in the world located in Indonesia which is consist with Sumatra (being the 6th), Borneo (being the third) and Papua (being the second)
4. Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world and the fastest growing population according to WHO.
5. Indonesia is the biggest shovel importer in The world
6. Indonesia is home to more than hundred endangered animal species that including Komodo Dragon, Sumateran Tiger, Sumatran Rhinoceros, Orang Utan and many more
7. The biggest flower in the world was found in Indonesia which is Rafflesia Arnoldi invented by British scientist J Raffles in Bengkulu (Bencolen)
8. Indonesia located in the region of Ring of Fire named because its location spread in East Pacific and West Indian Ocean and consisted with more than 400 volcanos which caused 4 earthquake every day in the country
9. The highest point is located in the Mount of Jaya Wijaya, Papua where the only place with snow in the country
10.Java Island is recorded as the home one of the early human in the world which is Homo erectus Palaeojavanicus.
11.Toba Lake is the recorded as the biggest Island of volcano causes and indeed the biggest island inside the island (Sumatra) in the world.
12.The first European that setting foot in the country is Marco Polo (even tough many argue, the Portuguese has been in the country in early 9th Century)
13.Indonesia is a country in Asia with the most change of Foreign Power, begun with Italian, Portuguese, Spain, Britain, the Dutch, and The Japanese (many argue the Arabs also had been colonized the country but excluded by locals)
14. Indonesia is home of the largest Chinese population in the world consisted with Hakka Chinese, Han Chinese, Wu Chinese etc. although minority, the race has been control the country’s economic aspect untill now.
15. Indonesia is the only nation with no language legacy from its colonialist (Indonesian never know how to speak Dutch, Japanese, Portuguese)