Dec 2016 - Jan 2017
Did you know...
1. In both area and population, Suriname is the smallest country in mainland South America.
2. Dutch is still the official language of Suriname.
3. The main export of Suriname is bauxite from which aluminium is extracted.
4. Thanks to large-scale immigration to South America from Asia in the 19th century, Hindustanis form the largest ethnic group in Suriname.
5. There is only one cinema in Suriname.
6. ‘Suriname’ is an anagram of ‘aneurism’ (swelling in a blood vessel) and Sumerian (relating to ancient Sumer).
7. Since 1960, when they first entered the Olympics, Suriname have won two medals, a gold and a bronze, both won by the swimmer Anthony Nesty in 1988 and 1992.
8. They drive on the left in Suriname. The only other South American country to do so is Guyana.
9. The Suriname toad (pipa pipa) is about five inches long and almost flat. Its feet are webbed and it has tiny eyes, no teeth and no tongue.
10. About half the population of Suriname live in its capital city Paramaribo, which has more people than the next nine cities put together.